Friday, February 5, 2010

Be Here To Love Me

Be Here To Love Me.

I’ve been haunted since watching this fantastic documentary on Townes Van Zandt the other night. Reflecting back on when he first began playing and writing music he said:

“There was one point when I realized, Man, I could really do this. But it takes blowing everything off. It would take blowing off family, money, security….happiness. Get a guitar and go”.

He did. But could I do it, blow everything off? Could you? It strikes me as an act of ultimate courage to walk away from everything in order to single-mindedly pursue perfection in your art. A argument could be made that it's ultimate selfishness. Or cowardice.

The film’s poster asks, “What would you sacrifice to follow your dream”?

It’s easy to romanticize the idea of no attachments, no distractions, nothing holding you back. But I love my life, my family, my motorcycles and my work. Would it be worth living without all of that to make art without compromise. I’m sure I don’t have it in me.

So the reverse question might be asked, “how has your work been sacrificed so you can lead a semi-normal life”?

Life only gives you one chance to get it right. I guess it helps to start out being a genius.

No comments: